More than 10,000 dogs a year are poisoned after eating everyday items such as paracetamol and chocolate, a pet charity has warned.
The Kennel Club says seemingly harmless foods such as hot cross buns and onions can be killers and is urging owners to be alert to the threat.
Around 56,000 dogs were treated for poisoning between 2010 and 2014, according to figures compiled by the charity and the Veterinary Poisons Information Service. Of those, 470 dogs died.
Sick: Around 56,000 dogs were treated for poisoning by vets between 2010 and 2014
Unlike Crufts prizewinner Jagger the Irish setter, who died last month after eating meat laced with poison, most poisoned pets will simply have eaten something they found lying around the home or fallen ill after being fed treats by their well-meaning owners.
Painkillers were the most common cause of poisoning, followed by rat and mouse bait and chocolate which can cause sickness, diarrhoea and fits and trigger heart problems. Dark chocolate is particularly toxic.
Foods such as sultanas, grapes and raisins are also highly dangerous for dogs, causing canine kidneys to fail. Dried forms of the fruit found in cakes are the most toxic. Onions, garlic and leeks can cause life-threatening anaemia.
Nick Sutton, a Kennel Club poisons expert, said: There are any number of ways a dog can get access to dangerous and potentially lethal substances, whether by accident, deliberate feeding or through owners mistakenly believing certain products particularly foods eaten by humans are fine for a dog to eat.
Many seemingly harmless foods can be dangerous for a dog and owners need to be aware of these risks in order to protect their much-loved pets.
The popularity of e-cigarettes has seen them feature more prominently among poisoning cases, with 64 dogs taken to the vet in 2014 after chewing the nicotine-rich refills an increase of 300 per cent.
However, many more cases are suspected to have occurred, because not all poisonings are reported. Chewing gum was another major cause of poisoning. Just one pack of gum can prove deadly, causing dangerous drops in blood sugar and liver failure.
If you fear your dog has been poisoned, the Kennel Club urges owners to contact their vet immediately, even if their dog appears well, as it can take several days before symptoms appear.
Mr Sutton said: Dogs are very intelligent, very curious and have a great sense of smell.
But we have to be careful about feeding them things that arent intended for them.
Published: 17:42 EST, 8 April 2015 | Updated: 17:47 EST, 8 April 2015